Tuesday, April 12, 2011

VMWare Screen Repaint issues

I recently added an iMac with 8Gb Ram, and I use VMWare due to a need to run an oracle database and some of the Oracle utilities. To my horror, the repaint on the XP VM was marginal, and I often found myself doing double takes at the things I had written (more than the usual amount anyway).

I tried mucking with the 3D Acceleration on the VM Settings, but that didn't have any effect.

What did the trick was modifying the settings on the Windows VM - in this case XP.

Under Control Panel / Display Settings / Settings Tab

click the Advanced Button

Goto the Troubleshoot Tab

Adjust the Hardware acceleration down one notch.

Restart your VM.

No more double takes due to missing pixels.

3 comments:

gnitro said...

I just installed VMWare onto a Windows 7 64-bit system and found I was experiencing repaint issues in the virtual machine I had created (it contains a Windows 7 32-bit OS) when I would scroll around. I found the solution for me was simply running the VM in full screen mode...thus no scrolling and no repaint issues.

gnitro said...

To clarify my last post my issues happened when I had my VM in a non-full screen mode and scrolled around within the VM window. Windows simply weren't displaying (you could see they existed within task manager) or when I would scroll a large rectangular gray block would fill the middle half of the screen.

Bob Hedlund said...

Thanks for sharing