Monday, December 8, 2008

Notes from a Windows to Mac Conversion Bender

I recently upgraded from my 2 year old pc to a new mac book pro. It was a tough decision because I need to be able to run oracle and the customer I am working with uses WebEx AIM Pro for desktop sharing. (I work remotely 75% of the time.) . The final decision to go mac was heavily influenced by the fact that I could use vmware to run an instance of my windows pc on the mac. The fear of Vista (Vistanoia?), the desire to leave the world of waiting for apps to respond, and the chance to try out a new toy were beckoning.

I pulled the trigger, and jumped on the configuration express.

I've been in config-hell before, and something deep down told me this would be no different. All the smiling faces that I met saying that changing to a mac was like a trip to disney surely had to have an unseemly downside lurking in a hidden log file.

The basic setup was pleasant - eclipse and tomcat installed as on a pc by simply unzipping them into the directory where they would be run from:

%> sudo gunzip apache-tomcat-5.5
%>sudo tar -xvf apache-tomcat-5.5
%>cd apache-tomcat-5.5/bin
%>./startup.sh (You are now running tomcat)

Eclipse was similiar.

One thing to get used to on a mac is that you no longer download jdks from sun. The jdk is preinstalled on your machine. You go to the Apple site and download the jdk for the mac if you need a different version or need an update. Apple doesnt seem to supply options for minor versions.

I ordered up a copy of VMWare fusion and planned to install my old pc on the mac as a resource - the ability to access old email, documents etc without having to go back to an old machine. However I had overlooked one issue - the windows xp had been installed on my pc when I bought it, and when I booted it up on the vmware, windows insisted on an activation key. The old one on the laptop was no longer valid, and so I had three days of use before the activation grace period expired. In that time I copied files over to the mac and made the most of the situation. The VMWare fusion worked greeat - and it was phenomenal to see the old pc running on the mac.

I would suggest taking snapshots of your OS in vmware, and make sure you keep the original so that you can always return to it. After three days however, I said goodbye to my old pc on the mac.

The next step for me was to get Oracle installed on the Mac. This was simple enough by installing Ubuntu on a vm in the vmware fusion. Again, vmware worked like a charm and Ubuntu is a very nice and user friendly. I used Ubuntu 8.10 and downloaded an OracleXE database. Everything went smoothly, and the database runs without issue. With vmware I can actually drag and drop files between desktops, and the database has been running without issue.


On Ubuntu, before you start running all over the net looking for apps or jdks to download, use the Synaptic Package Manager under the System tab on your desktop. Real simple.

The stumbling block for me was that the project I work on uses sqlldr to load the database. This executable processes a flat file and inserts the data in the oracle database based on a template definition. I wanted to run the eclipse and tomcat on the mac, and the oracle instance on the Ubuntu vm. I read that installing the oracle client on the mac was possible, but when I did, I found that it did not come with the sqlldr utility.

My first plan to circumvent the issue ws to run eclipse and tomcat on the Ubuntu instance. This worked, but eclipse had issues - perspectives needed to be configured with each new restart, and I found eclipse crashed in the vm frequently. I needed an environment that was stable and able to handle heavy loads on the processor and manage the memory well. This was not the case on Ubuntu in the vmware virtual machine.

The next idea was to install A Samba server on Ubuntu. Samba allows you to access other machines, in this case the virtual machine on my mac. The install call was

%> sudo apt-get install samba smbfs

This allowed me to access files across machines - however I was not able to execute the sqlldr command from the mac on the Ubuntu machine.

My next plan of attack is to update to the OS/X Server and install the Oracle Client for 10g.

And so it goes...









No comments: